Friday, January 30, 2009

Chicks Dig Jake

This wouldn't be a problem if Jake was seventeen instead of seven, but for now unless she can throw a tight spiral, he has no use for girls. I don't remember being boy crazy in first grade, but that was a very long time ago. This is going to sound like bragging, but I am just stating the fact that at least weekly Jake comes home with love notes from various admirers. The notes are starting to get more terse and direct in their tone. Like the one today was from a pair of fellow first grade girls. First it proclaims their collective love for him in word, art, and symbolism (XOXOXOX) then demands in no uncertain terms to know if Jake loves one or both of them back.

I am getting the feeling that Jake has failed to respond to these inquiries in the past, since the one today was given to me to give to Jake. I guess they think that if they get Jake's mom involved, their chances of finding out once and for all where Jake's affections lie will improve. I dutifully handed the note to Jake when he got home from school. He took one glance and shred the note in a fit of anger before depositing it in the trash forcefully. Geez, I'm just the messenger. Be careful Jake- girls can hold grudges for a long time. You may find yourself dateless to the prom if you continue down this path. I have to say that I have remained an exception to Jake's no girls rule. I still seem to have his heart as he shamelessly yells, "I LOVE YOU, MOM!" and demands one more hug and kiss as he leaves the car everyday. But then again, I can throw a tight spiral, too.

1 comment:

Becca Hatch said...

I hope he continues to ignore them until he is 22. Perhaps Burke and Mark can give a lesson on the benefits of the single life?

I don't remember being boy crazy as a first grader. Man, times have changed.