I am afraid that I have diverted all of my creative energy toward Jake's annual birthday letter, leaving my blog postless for a few days. (I am sure that has been devastating for my three readers and one occasional commenter.)
On Jake's second birthday, Wes and I decided to start a tradition of writing each child a letter on their birthday. We write to them as if they are adults telling all about what they did that year - their interests, things they learned, and all the cute and great things about them, etc. No rules really, just a few paragraphs to say whatever we feel like telling them. We plan on presenting them with this compilation of letters someday when they leave home, so they will always know how much they mean to us. Presents are quickly broken and forgotten, money gets spent, memories fade, and parents usually can't be with you your whole life, so we hope that these letters will be a lasting treasure to them someday. Besides, it is a good exercise for me to pause long enough to put into words all the positive things about being their mom. Sometimes, I get so caught up in the routine- eat your food, do your homework, clean up, be nice, brush your teeth, get in the bath, say your prayers, go to bed - that I lose sight of how fabulous it really is to be blessed enough to have these amazing little people in my care. So that is my plug for the day... write your kid a letter on their birthday. An added bonus is being able to read the previous years letters. You will be surprised at all the little things you forgot about.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
ditto that!
I love that idea! I wish you would have told me that BEFORE I had 4 kids. That is a lot of writing!:)
Post a Comment