Sunday, December 7, 2008

Happy 85th Jay Miller!

We made the three hour road trip up to Joseph City this weekend for a surprise birthday bash for Wes' Grandpa. We arrived just in time to see his genuine surprise as all of his seven children and most of his grand and great grandchildren gathered at the church to celebrate. I question the wisdom of surprising a man of 85, but the good news is that his heart tolerated it, and he seemed to really enjoy having all of his posterity back in one place for an afternoon. In true Miller fashion there was lots of food, even more dessert, tables of card games, a pick-up basketball game with ages 6 to 60 participating, and endless laughter. I can honestly say that after almost 10 years of joining this family, that I truly feel a part of them. They are genuinely kind and gracious people. Grandpa Miller in particular has always gone out of his way to make me feel special, despite having too many of his actual offspring to count. He is a great man, who has shown the difference one good man in this world can make.

We also drove through Snowflake on the way home to visit Jay's brother, Great Uncle Vance who is 90+ and just recently moved into a care facility. We try to get by to see Uncle Vance when we are up that way. The visits have taken on special meaning for the boys as well. When we told them that we were going to visit him, they both cheered and said, "YES!"

Uncle Vance has a quick wit, and a sharp mind. He always took special interest in Wes and rarely if ever missed one of his high school basketball, football, or baseball games. He is a true sports fan who appreciated and still talks about Wes' athletic talent. The boys love to hear it, and I am sure Wes doesn't so much mind either. He was close with Wes' Dad, and talks of him often, which is fun for me and the kids to hear. Vance never married or had children of his own, but we all claim him. It is and always has been a special relationship. There were 16 of us from the weekend festivities that made our way into his 12 X 12 room. After awhile the kids were getting tired and restless, and it became obvious that we needed to get back on the road home. It never has been in the past, and I am not sure why today, but the goodbyes turned emotional, even for me.
The man of the hour, Grandpa Jay Miller and his wife Sarah Mae with Jake, DB, Kelcee, and uncooperative Sophie.

A mere sampling of some of the great grand children of Jay Miller. There is not a lense wide enough on the market to fit the whole brood.
Sophie cuddles up to Uncle Vance. (I can count on one hand the number of people Sophie will do this with.)
This picture may seem a little random for this post, but with all this good I have been writing about my in-laws, I have to throw this in for the sake of balance. Pardon my language, but this is the hell hole that a few relatives of Wes' (who will go unnamed) arranged for us to stay in after our wedding reception in Joe City. It was filthy, tiny and uncomfortable, but has been good for a more than a few laughs through the years. I definitely do not recommend the Wigwam Teepees as a honeymoon destination, but to the perpetrators, you are now forgiven.

1 comment:

Becca Hatch said...

Wasn't there a cartoon version of that hotel in "Cars"? Maybe I'm hallucinating. It looks like you all had fun and I'm glad Wes has such a nice family.