Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Learned Helpless

You remember Psych 101 and the learned helpless dogs. The dogs were shocked and given no way to escape. Then when they were given a way to escape none of them even tried. (Please don't call me PETA. It wasn't my idea.) Anyway, that is how it is with me and gardening. I've tried and tried without success and it has gotten to the point where I truly do not believe it is possible for me make anything grow. I try to blame it on the fact that it is over 100 degrees the majority of the year and nothing can survive the oppressive heat. That argument falls flat though when I see friends and neighbors with beautiful gardens. Last year, Wes and I spent at least $50 on preparing our garden. We bought special soil, seeds, fertilizer, and watered it just like the experts said to. The yield: one zucchini squash. That's one expensive side dish. So it has been just long enough that the aggravation has faded and I'm willing to give it one more try! One of my favorite sayings is:

"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then if you still don't succeed, quit and try something else. Don't be a damn fool about it"

I can't remember if that was an actual quote from someone or if that was just my cynical inner voice adding on to the more well known saying that stops at the first sentence.
So this is it. If we again fail to at least recoup our cost again this year in produce, I am done with gardening forever.
Before photo of our alleged "garden".
This is a wonderful mature tree that shades a good portion of our backyard and about half our house. I really don't want to cut it down, but I also don't want this fence to collapse. The previous owners planted it about two feet from the fence, which was fine when it was pencil thin, but now the roots are causing some serious havoc. Any suggestions on how to remedy this situation would be appreciated. (Please don't suggest anything that isn't free. This is so far down on the list, it's not even funny.)

No comments: