Thursday, August 14, 2008

Olympic Fever

So, I love the Olympic Games. I have decided it is because there are very few other examples in life of being on a world stage living out the pinnacle of your life dreams with such defined outcomes of success. I watch these athletes perform these amazing feats and always feel like such a sloth sitting on the couch. Look what I could have done if I had applied myself.

When I was 12, I set a goal that I was going to be the next gold medal winning Olympic gymnast. Yes I would dethrone Mary Lou Retton. I was unaware at the time that I was six inches too tall, 100 percent too inflexible, ten years too late, and about a hundred grand too poor. Plus there is something to be said for a child living a more balanced life than spending twelve hours a day in a gym. I was undeterred, nonetheless. If I wanted it bad enough, I could achieve it! Sadly, if you were to Google "gymnast Christy Whittaker", I am afraid nothing would come up. I fell a bit short of that dream, but I am buoyed by the presence of a 41-year old female swimmer this year. So I still can get that gold medal I have been coveting. I will only be 39 at the next Olympics, so I would be way younger than that lady. I don't really like swimming long distances though and all the gymnasts are pre-teens. I don't like sand in my hair so beach volleyball is out. I may place my bets on the hammer throw since I have one arm that is pretty strong from carrying a baby on my hip for six years straight. Until I decide for sure, I will continue my vigorous training regimen of running around the block once a week, if the weather allows it. Watch for me in 2012!

1 comment:

Becca Hatch said...

Maybe your training is fine, it's just the events are all screwed up. Where is the diaper changing relay, or the 100 yard grocery dash, or the multi-tasking medley (answer the phone, fix a snack, switch the laundry, and pray for change all at the same time)? I'm ready for those events TODAY!