Thursday, August 7, 2008

Meet the Teacher

The countdown is on before my daytime home life dramatically shifts by going from three kids to one kid , with a drastic reduction in testosterone. Soon Sophie and I will be getting pedicures, eating Bon Bons, shopping for shoes and be busy being the princesses that we are all day long.

We have tried to have an action packed week before sending the boys off to school on Monday. For example, today we spent the morning at the local bounce house, followed by a trip with friends to Peter Piper Pizza. Then Grandma Karla generously took us back to school shopping, where the boys got their pick of new school clothes. Then we went to our favorite sub shop for dinner followed by frozen yogurt (candy topped, of course). Then we went to the "Meet the Teacher" night at the school, where the boys saw all their friends. Then we let them play on the playground until the sun went down. I was feeling pretty good about all my efforts until Jake's parting words as I tucked him in for the night. "Why do I never get to do anything I want to do?" I know it was just fatigue talking, but that sure chaps me. I wish I could have the last 12 hours and 60 bucks back. Tomorrow, I am going to make him mow the lawn and scrub the grout. At least poor Cinderella will have a reason to complain. Love you, Jake!

So, we met the kid's teachers tonight. I have stopped worrying about DB's readiness for Kindergarten. He is excited and his teacher, Mrs. Dyer is off the charts fabulous. She has been very reassuring to me and has made DB feel like he is the most special kid on the planet. He can't wait for school to start. It's a weird thing when your kid goes off to Kindergarten. That toddler/preschool stage seems to last forever until it begins to close in on you, then you start to second guess if you have done enough. It is widely believed in the psychology world that a child's basic character is already formed by the time they reach five years old. No pressure there. I hope I have fortified my kids enough against all the crap they are sure to be exposed to- like foul language for instance. (Actually, they may have learned that from me. Damn it!)

1 comment:

Becca Hatch said...

Jake and Kate are cut from the same cloth. Yesterday I took her to lunch with my girlfriends, to the mall, to see Wall-E and all I got was crap from her. It is so frustrating that whether I'm nice or a total jerk my kid still feels like she is totally put upon.