Tuesday, July 28, 2009

You Know You Are In Utah When...

Our road trip this summer took us through three states. Knowing this, and being curious as kids are, the boys were constantly asking what state we were in. So I have created this handy check list. Feel free to print it out and take it with you on your next trip to Utah. This is all based on my actual observations on this trip. I did NOT make any of it up...

You know you are in Utah when:

*Five kids, all roughly the same size, are taken to the community pool on the "family pass" and no one so much as raises a suspecting eye brow.

* A mom of two young kids instructs them to "fold your arms!" in an attempt to get them to stop running around while waiting for their meal at Wendy's. (I can't prove it, but I think she asked where the fry sauce was when she picked up her order.)

*The graffiti at the park says, "Did you think to pray?" (I didn't have my camera but you can verify at the Discovery Park in Pleasant Grove if you wish.)

*The slides at the park are made of stainless steel.

*The sports page in the local newspaper is blank, and the front page headline is "Mormon Urban Legends". (OK I made up the first part, but according to Wes it might as well been since the Jazz are in the off season and BYU had no games.)

*You are four days into your trip, and not a soul has commented on your daughter's red hair. Due the generous genetic contributions of Brother Brigham to the Salt Lake Valley, half the population is red.

*In the Good News segment in Relief Society there is actual applause when a sister announced that it wasn't a tumor that her missionary son has, but only parasites! Everyone loves an optimist.

*You look around on July 24 to find that almost no one is working. Also, no need to hit the deck. That is NOT gunfire you hear, just fireworks.

*You notice there are a half dozen wedding invites on the counter, but are confused because the photos look like they are from the junior high dance. (Sorry, I am just bitter because it took me sooo long to find my prince charming. That was totally uncalled for.)

*It is still light outside and you realize that you ate dinner five hours ago and are starting to get really sleepy.

2 comments:

Becca Hatch said...

I'm laughing. You hit the nail on the head.

and P.S.- the newspaper that ran the "Urban Legends" story is considered the LIBERAL paper around here.

Kathy said...

Don't forget that EVERY car around you at the stoplight has at least one carseat, usually two, AND a booster.