Thursday, April 9, 2009

Triage Unit

DB and Sophie attempt to sleep off their fevers.
I put on my nurse hat this week and went to work in my mini triage unit located in my family room. The kids got hit with a nasty virus that started with fevers spiking to 105 degrees and seems to be ending (I hope) with a wet cough. A few kids in the neighborhood had pneumonia recently, so we are hoping to avoid that. It is handy that Jake is already on antibiotics for his cut, although he has not fared much better than the others so far. DB started the whole thing last Saturday and he was well enough to be super naughty today, so I suppose that is a good sign.

At one point yesterday, Jake was having hallucinations and possibly a febrile seizure, while Sophie's nose was gushing blood from the thinning effect of the ibuprofen. I just kept telling myself that it can only get better now. Thankfully, it did.
Anyway, enough of my sob story. We were all well enough to bust out of these four walls and go to the park this afternoon to enjoy this perfect weather. The fevers are gone and the kids are now in bed, resting comfortably. The worst part of this whole thing is that Jake had a speaking part in his one and only First Grade play, "Bugville" tonight. He had worked super hard to memorize his line and the class had spent hours practicing the songs. He burst into tears tonight when I told him he had to miss it because he was sick. DB missed his cap and gown Kindergarten "graduation" pictures today, but as you know I wouldn't have bought them anyways.
So that was my week. Not funny or entertaining, but I am considering contacting the local Community College to request an honorary nursing degree.

1 comment:

Becca Hatch said...

That makes for a rough week! I'm glad you survived.

And no, that's just a regular blanket Kate has, although it sounds like she's not the only one who has been BEGGING for a snuggie.