Friday, September 19, 2008

Birthday Fun!

So I celebrated in style this year. It started yesterday when I got this lovely pager-like "event monitor" that attaches to two electrodes on my chest. I've been conscious of the fact that I need to accessorize more lately, but that is not what I was hoping for. Wes said that he was going to put a big bow on it, given the cost of it. So to clarify, I am not planning of dying of a heart attack anytime soon, and fully expect to discover that my heart is fine. A couple months ago, I had a 3am incident of my heart beating in an irregular rhythm causing me to be dizzy and numb. Since then I have had four doctors tell me that I probably have nothing to worry about, however the Cardiologist wanted me to wear this monitor for 30 days so he could see what goes on when I have these episodes, since it never happens in the 10 seconds they are looking for it at my appointments. I haven't had any "episodes" in over a month, so I am not sure what I am supposed to record, but in order for me to be eligible for health insurance when our policy expires at the end of the year, I need to have sufficient evidence that my heart is normal and healthy. So it kind of forced my hand in following through with the recommendations of an echo cardiogram and the monitor. So that is the story of why I have wires sticking out of my shirt with an awesome pager from the late 80s. It is not as ominous as it sounds, I hope anyway.

It was a great birthday otherwise. Karla surprised me with cinnamon rolls and bagels for breakfast and was kind enough to watch the kids while Wes and I splurged on a nice dinner at a new Sushi restaurant. We both agreed that Zushi might be our new favorite place to eat. I also was lucky enough to have lunch with Mom and Dad and Cheryl. Sophie and Lani once again reminded us of why they are uninvited to restaurants until they are five, but they made up for it with sheer cuteness. I have to say though that the best part of my birthday came when Jake begged to have his wallet, but refused to tell me why. He loves to count his money and I thought he was just stalling going to bed. I gave him the wallet, but with attitude. I felt really small when he came out with a five dollar bill and said,

"Mom, I didn't get to do anything for your birthday today, so I wanted you to have this."

I am the luckiest woman in the world to have such a great thoughtful family and such sweet kids. It makes rounding the corner towards 40 easier to swallow!
Birthday hugs from Sophie, Jake, and Dylan.

2 comments:

Becca Hatch said...

Happy Birthday! We are so sorry we couldn't be in on the fun. I hope it was a happy one.

Geoff, Amanda and Katherine said...

Ahhh... Sounds like a good birthday. Sorry we missed it! The echo cardiogram thing sounds interesting. Admittedly I know nothing about it, but I'm curious if any of your doctors have mentioned the possibility of panic attacks...