Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Fundraisers, Photos, & Football

I finally got around to getting Sophie's 2-year old portraits today. (Yes, her birthday was in July.)I was trying to remember our last trip to Target Portrait Studio, and I couldn't recall. I may have blocked it out due to post traumatic stress disorder, but I was pleasantly surprised this time at how Sophie worked the camera. I expected her to cling to me, but she has matured a lot lately and can take or leave me anymore. She was a serious poser and we ended up with some pretty cute pics. I have to laugh at how the frequency of portrait studio visits has steadily declined with each child. I think I took Jake monthly for his first two years of life. I always wondered why I only have two baby pictures. As the fifth child, I totally get it and Mom you are officially forgiven.

I can't help but notice that fundraising season is in full swing. These kids are so hard to say no to. It started out innocently enough when the football player down the street came to the door with a "savings" card for 20 bucks. Then came the cookie dough from the boys' school. Of course both boys get the envelope with the promise of fabulous prizes if your mom and dad decide to forgo the mortgage for snicker doodles, or you tract the neighborhood. Neither appealed to me, so we went with old tried and true method of guilting family members into buying this ridiculously overpriced cookie dough. (Thank you to those of you who succumbed to that tactic.For your generosity the boys have secured the spy eye and ear light on the prize list!) Next came the Gold Canyon Candles for the flag football team the boys are on. And then it's the adorable but incredibly irritating cub scout shoving those utterly useless Scoutarama coupons at you as you enter and leave the grocery store. I've started shopping after bedtime just because I hate saying no. Then it's the high school band kids attempting to wash your car for "free" against your will if you even slow down for a stop light. For heaven sakes, ENOUGH! I'm just going to leave a pile of money at my front door and be done with it!

1 comment:

Becca Hatch said...

My resolve is rock solid unless it happens to be a fat kid selling. For some reason, I can say no to anybody or anything unless I'm looking into some chubby little face. So your kids would be DE-NIED!