Friday, July 11, 2008

Running from things not chasing me.

My mother-in-law, Karla has a magnet on her fridge that says something to the effect of , "Why do so many people run from things that aren't chasing them?" I always thought that was a great saying and so true. How many times do we fret and worry over matters than never really materialize? Now of course bad things can and do happen, but it seems that it usually is not the thing that we feared the most. It is usually some random blindside that bites the most.

Anyways, so it was with DB's doctor's appointment today with the Dermatologist. For months I have worried about and dreaded taking him to get these warts removed from his nose. With him starting Kindergarten in a few weeks, I couldn't put it off any longer. I envisioned the worst with him kicking and screaming and cowering away in agony as they sniped these growths on the tip of his nose.

Wes made arrangements to get home from work early and Karla was kind enough to stay with Jake and Sophie. Ruth had picked up the numbing cream the day before, so that we could apply it on the way there to minimize the anticipation time at the doctor's office. I had all my ducks in a row and was just bracing for the fight to begin.

So they call Dylan back and he calmly walks back hops up on the table and smiles at Dr. Powers. (He is great by the way for anyone seeking a Dermatologist.) He proceeds to take these sharp pointy surgical scissors and snips off the warts. DB did not so much as flinch, cower, or even start to cry at any point in the process. He is one tough little dude as Wes would say. Now I don't know if it was the desire to be tough in front of Dad, or Ruth's prayers again-(she is good with warts.) or some other force but I am grateful things went so well. Now I can choose something else to start running from.

2 comments:

Becca Hatch said...

I'm so glad you BOTH toughed it out okay. He is a brave kid, and so I'm glad he won't be scared of doctors for the rest of his life because of today.

Cheryl said...

I knew my DB had it in him! Proud of you buddy!!!
I love that saying! I have found that running has helped me stop running from things not chasing me...think about that one :)
Thanks a million times over for being the only person in my life that has never forgotten my birthday (except the first two of course!) You are the best sister a girl could ever have!
xoxo