Friday, June 6, 2008

Hold the Sarcasm

I was reminded again today that kids have a difficult time detecting sarcasm. I need to write myself a note. I went to pick up Jake and DB from Cheryl's house. Sophie had fallen asleep, so I left her home with Wes, even though she had been with me when I dropped the boys off. This was the conversation on the ride home:

Jake pointing at Cheryl's next door neighbors house: "Hey mom did you know that they have FIVE kids in that family?"

Me: Wow, that is a lot. Do you think we should have that many kids in our family?

Jake- "NO!" (Jake consistently presents this viewpoint.)

Me: "Well, how many kids should be in our family?"

Jake: "Oh...like two or three."
A few moments pass, then he notices Sophie is no longer in the car.

Jake: "Mom, where is Sophie?"

Me: "I took her back to the hospital since you only want two kids in the family."
Stunned silence..

Jake with a horrified look on his face: "Can you really just take kids back to the hospital?"

Dylan: "Mom, I want Sophie back! I want three kids in our family"

I really didn't set out to be mean, but I guess that kind of was. I didn't let them think that for very long. I was glad to see that the boys do have some affection for their little sister.

3 comments:

Becca Hatch said...

I have the same problem with the sarcasm. Oh well, I figure the sooner Kate learns a general distrust of all adults the better.

Cheryl said...

Atleast you didn't say "Cheryl took her back to the hospital!" Thanks for not throwing me under the bus! I think a little meaness can go a long way with kids!

Shayla Taylor said...

This is the funniest story I have heard all week!