Monday, June 30, 2008

Summer Vacation Adventures

Question (think Dwight Shrute): What is worse than a 12 hour drive in a mini-van with five kids? Answer: A 12-hour drive with five kids with one of them puking. At the risk of stating the obvious, stomach flu and road trips are not a marriage made in Heaven. We left Mesa right on time (4 am) and made it all the way to Sky Harbor (about 15 minutes) when Jake puked (for the first time in at least two years) Poor Milan was the unfortunate soul who was seated next to Jake. It quickly became apparent that I need to sit there, because there are some things that only a mom should have to do. So, Milan graduated to the middle row and I was faced with the task of fitting between two car seats in the back row of the van. I swear if I had eaten one more calorie in my life I could not have wedged myself in there. About half way through the trip in what was probably the most rural stretch of the drive, Jake announced that his right side was hurting really bad. Of course I assumed that his appendix was moments from bursting with the closest medical facility two hours away. After one more round of puking, the pain subsided and he finally started to feel better. The good news is that we arrived unscathed and even in good time.

Becca and Bruce have been amazing hosts to us and the kids are loving being outside in the gorgeous Utah weather. DB spent all morning unearthing potato bugs. Jake and Milan play basketball and attempt to swing each other so high in hopes that the other will fall off. Sophie loves being with her cousins Kiki and Lani and Ellyse and Lauren are a great help with the little ones.

Best quote of the road trip: Jake when asked why he was coloring the grass yellow in a dinosaur coloring page, "Well it's not like the dinosaurs are going to water it!"

Stay tuned for Summer Vacation Adventures II!

No comments: