Saturday, March 6, 2010

Hyundai, Yep They Are Good Cars.

The best thing about buying a Hyundai is that you have this conversation every time the topic of the new car comes up. "What kind of car did you buy?" "A Hyundai." "Oh good choice, Hondas are good cars." To which I usually reply, "Yep."

Despite replacing the transmission twice in my Camry, I loved that car. For some reason, when I was expecting my second kid, we felt compelled to buy a minivan. It's amazing how much stuff you think you need with your first kid. When we took Jake to the beach for the first time, we borrowed Cheryl's minivan because we figured there was no possible way to fit three of us and our gear in a Sedan with a huge trunk and two spare seats. Considering that what we determined as necessary included a porta-crib, a bouncy seat, a breast pump, bottles, formula, the exersaucer, two car seats - on infant and one forward facing, a regular stroller, a running stroller, a back pack, a front pack, beach toys, picnic gear, a Costco pack of diapers and wipes, cold, colic, teething, and pain meds, a month supply of food (since there are no grocery stores in So Cal), blankets, bedding, and outfits for every possible weather scenario- including ones that have never in the history of California occurred. Did I mention we were staying for three nights?

By the time Sophie joined us, she was lucky if I remembered to shove a spare diaper under the seat before heading out. She's no worse for the wear. What we deem as necessary is usually not. Images from Haiti have reinforced that for me.

Wes and I have pushed the limits of his truck beyond what is reasonable and finally bit the bullet this week. We found a great deal on a Hyundai Sonata. It doesn't score points for prestige, but it has the same safety ratings, reliability, and aesthetics as the Accord and Camry without the price tag. I'm all about value and practicality, so to get a three year old car with only 28,000 miles on it for less than 10 grand out the door fit the bill for us.

2 comments:

Becca Hatch said...

Good for you! I have to say that I know several people with Sonatas (one the same year as yours, I think) and they have all been very happy with them.

Hatchetman said...

I love my Honda, I know you'll love your Honda also...