Monday, March 29, 2010

Star Wars Disconnect

For reasons I can't really pinpoint, my family never got into Star Wars. (In fact, there are entire segments of pop culture that I some how missed. But that's for another post.) I've heard of Star Wars, but I am clueless about the story line and the characters. I've tried to watch it but never make it awake past the opening scene. Maybe I am hypnotized by the moving words. I am married to a Star Wars geek too. It wasn't a deal killer, but he did have to get used to my blank stares when he would reference a scene or line or character from Star Wars. Initially I tried to play along with it like you sometimes do in a new relationship, but it didn't last long.

Wes: "Remember when Darth Vader said blah blah blah to so and so and then this and that happen."

Me: "Yeah, that was awesome."

Wes: "Noooo, it was horrible."

Me: "Ok, I've never watched it!"

To make matters worse, one of the Star Wars movies debuted on our honeymoon in Hawaii. There was no way that I was going to sit in a movie about some made up galactic war on my honeymoon, and I knew he must truly love me when he knew better than to even suggest it. I recall driving past a long line that snaked around the block in downtown Honolulu. I asked what that was about and Wes just calmly said, "Oh, it might be that new Star Wars movie." That may have marked the beginning of me being the boss of him.

As fate would have it, I ended up working closely with a guy who's legal name was Luke Walker. I think he probably appreciated that I was the only person ever who did not immediately make a Luke Sky Walker joke to him the first time we met. I went to a lot of business meetings with him and I heard this joke more times than I can count. To his credit, he somehow managed a polite chuckle EVERY SINGLE TIME. But I digress..

This weekend Karla treated Wes and I and Cory and Ashley to Phoenix Symphony tickets. The concert was devoted to Space, and the entire second half comprised the Star Wars sound track. I don't have any idea what happens in the movie, but now I know that it had some pretty amazing music in it. I thoroughly enjoyed the show and it felt good to add some much needed culture to my life.

They say everyone has a twin. I think we may have found Jake's. During the show they showed various characters on a big screen. When young Anikan Sky Walker came up on the screen. Wes and I looked at each other and whispered "Jake!" at the same time.

2 comments:

Becca Hatch said...

I saw the old ones (the first 3? The second 3? Who knows.) when I was a kid, and have had zero interest in the new ones.

Sorry, Wes, no viewing party when we are in town.

Staci Kramer said...

I have seen all six in disjointed doses a hundred times but never beginning to end. my boys (including John) are totally obsessed. I laughed when I read this because just yesterdaymy husband was disgusted with me when I asked if storm troopers are good guys or bad guys. Last week in RS there was a woman who literally bore her testimony of Star Wars. Something about the force and jedi training.... she is a woman in her mid forties who never married. go figure.