Monday, May 4, 2009

My Body Fat Is What!?

I don't remember how old I was when I got my first gym membership. I'm pretty sure I was still a teenager though. I like the gym. I don't have any idea what I am doing there, but I do get frequent use out of it. I've never been one to buy something, then not use it. Before being too impressed I must fess up that it has more to do than my cheapness than my dedication. So my routine goes something like this. Pretend like I am stretching while reading the paper, then pay a token visit to a few of the resistance machines that I actually have figured out how to operate without drawing attention to myself. (Although one time, I actually got a personal trainer to interrupt his paying client's session in order to stop me from injuring myself on a machine.)Then I wander over to any low impact cardio machine that won't aggravate my 70 year old knees (the ER doctor's assessment, not mine) and Quick Start whatever program comes up. I stay there until I lose interest in the TV show that is on, or a Barry Manilow song comes on my fake I-Pod, sabotaging all my motivation.

My uninterrupted streak of this gym membership and vigorous routine that accompanies it came to an end about a year ago as a casualty of this economy. I have tried to keep up some kind of fitness routine by running around the block a few times a week. So the 100 degree weather coupled with a tax refund served as a good catalyst to reinstate the gym membership. So with the membership came a "free" personal training session. Really this is just an excuse to pitch their $280 month training services. But I took the free session anyway. I was shocked to discover that my body fat was not in the good or even average range. This news along with my "elevated" cholesterol, and shorts that have been mysteriously shrinking recently confirms my fears.. that I am a fat skinny girl. I was blessed with good metabolism and the ability to eat more than a human should be allowed and not pay the consequences..until now. I can't fool my blood turns out or my waist line anymore. So I am working on ridding my house of all my food weaknesses. I have a vicious sweet tooth and I am beginning to realize that it may be an all or nothing proposition. As a nutrition lecturer once told me, "Sugar makes you fat, tired, hungry, and addicted." So we will see how long that lasts. I suppose by blogging about it, I create a little bit of accountability.

Speaking of fitness, Wes is on Week # 3 of his 5:30 AM basketball boot camp. He keeps falling asleep at 8:30 and is a tired boy by the end of the week, but he is noticeably shedding weight. Good job, Wes!

Jake is in the middle of his First Grade assessment testing. He was so stressed out about staying in the bubble and all the people who were going to see his test results that he hardly slept the night before the test began. I don't have the heart to tell him how many hundreds of multiple choice bubble tests he has in his future. And as far as people seeing the results..if the poor kid had any idea all the things I posted about him weekly on this totally public blog, well then maybe he wouldn't be so worried about the silly test.

1 comment:

Becca Hatch said...

I need to forego sugar as well, so if you have any great ideas let me know.

Good work getting back to the gym- I swear my daily workouts are the only barrier between me and total insanity.