Saturday, May 9, 2009

I Won The Lottery

I'm all about personal responsibility and making the most of your circumstances, but you can't argue that there are some things in life that we really have no control over; our parents, for example. I just wanted to take the opportunity on Mother's Day to point out that I absolutely won the Mom Lottery. It's not a secret to anyone who has met Ruth Hatch. She is an amazing women whom I can only hope to be like someday. She is and always has been there for me in the good times and bad. She has always allowed me to be me and always seems to know when to step back and when to step in. I know that she prays for me because I see and feel it in a very tangible way. She taught me everything I know about empathy and selfless charity. I once sat in a Psychology class in college and listened to a professor explain that there is no such thing as altruism. I remember thinking, obviously you haven't met my mom. She truly has no hidden agendas and genuinely gives because that's who she is and what she does. I know this post will embarrass her, but it needed to be said.

And as if I wasn't blessed enough, somehow I managed to acquire a mother-in-law who is equally fabulous and amazing. My relationship with Karla and Ruth is completely devoid of all jealousy, pettiness, and mind games. It has come to my attention recently that this is a rare gift that I too often take for granted. I appreciate and benefit from this on a daily basis.

Thank you to my Moms and all the other incredible fellow moms who bless my life daily with their example and encouragement. Love to you all and HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

I wish I had a Mom like you! Oh wait I do! We truly have the best Mom in the whole wide world! I try not to rub it in all of my friends faces, but we truly did "win the lottery!" Love you Mom!!! The only thing that would have made it better is if I had a perfect sister to go along with it! Wait I do! You are what keeps me sane my sister and I love you for it!