I have resorted to bribery to encourage good behavior by my boys. We now have a former pickle jar that has been renamed, "The Gerbil Jar". When the jar has been filled with pebbles (which are earned for good behavior and taken away for bad) the boys can go pick out their new gerbil. (Thank you, Cheryl for putting the pet idea in their heads!) So far, I have to say that it has gone a long way in improving behavior, but I sure pity the poor rodent who becomes our pet.
I went to go see "Made of Honor" this weekend. I did not drag Wes to this excuse for a movie, instead seeing it for a girl's night out. I am perplexed at how Hollywood can continue to make movies with the exact same predictable plots and we suckers continue to plunk down $9.50 to see them. Shame on them but mostly shame on us. Even McDreamy couldn't save this one.
Just by way of public information, if anyone thought that once you were 18 you could wash your hands of scouting forever, you would be sorely mistaken. There is the program for adult scout leaders called Wood Badge and it is a 18 month program that gets kicked off with two three day retreats in the woods. Yes, that's six days total, including four work days. Now the time away is just the beginning you see. That just introduces the program wherein you will select goals in five areas, and track your progress for a year and a half. Now by all accounts this is a fantastic, well-run and invaluable training program ...for someone who doesn't have a new business, a young family, a little league team to coach, and young men's program to run. I fully admit that I need an attitude adjustment on this scouting issue preferably before my boys are old enough to sense it, but c'mon people. I'm not bitter!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I hate the Scouting program with every fiber of my being. Thank goodness I have daughters. Three years of Bruce serving, giving up his vacation time, and having to hound punk slackers into getting their eagles was enough to turn me off FOREVER.
all i ask is that you keep those "gerbil jars" away from me... I want NO jokes about gerbils... everyone got that?
Christopher says "As an avid indoorsman, who has not even set foot in my own backyard in over 2 years,I concur with your post. As a self-appointed champion of the indoors, I succesfully abolished the annual Havisupi campout by pointing out the obvious...which is Havasupi and frankly the entire outdoors suck. Having been asked by my son what ranking I had achieved in the boyscout program, I responded, "the boyscout badge, the one you get for paying your initiation dues and waiting 30 days." He too will be expected to reach this high achievement or he will not be allowed to drive! In conclusion, as with arrogant bastard readers...outdoors/scouters, love to go around pushing thier beliefs on everyone and trying to make indoorsman feel inferior! Too you outdoorsmen I say, "shove it up your pup tent."
Christopher, you crack me up! I too am an avid indoorsman and actually like the outdoors- when i choose when where what how and why. believe me... woodbadge was not my idea!!! i still can't tie a square not.
Christopher's jealously of Wes' sexy scout uniform is so transparent.
A word of warning to you scout-haters....After my comments, I got a phonecall from the bishopbric with my new calling-------Den Mother!!!!Somebody shoot me! I knew I shouldn't have mocked the yellow shirts!
Post a Comment