Tuesday, November 2, 2010

"I Voted" Now Give Me My Diet Coke With Lime

So it's election day and I kept my streak alive of not missing a chance to vote in an election since my 18th birthday. I won't lie, the fact that Sonic was offering a free 44 ouncer for showing up with an "I voted" sticker was a huge motivator. In my younger years I was more optimistic about the impact that my vote and subsequently my representatives could have in our nation. I fancy myself on conservative principles of fiscal and personal responsibility, and the preservation of freedom through minimal government intervention. I realize that is overly simplistic, but I still make an effort to put my vote behind the candidate that I think will defend those principles. I've been around enough election cycles now, that I now see that most politicians, with the rare exception are liars and will turn on his or her constituents if the money or other motivations suits their aspirations. And frankly, they take way too much credit and get way too much blame. Everyone is up in arms about this economy...I'm out of work, my home is underwater, gas prices are too high.....yada yada. You're kidding yourself people if you think that voting in a bunch of republicans are going to magically fix all that. We are just  birds riding on the back of an elephant. Flap your wings all you want, but it's not going to have much effect on the elephant. It's just bigger than that. It's not happening overnight and their are no easy fixes no matter who is in charge. Our current policies are completely unsustainable. Somethings gotta give. We'll see. I hope I'm wrong.

Speaking of politics, did I mention Wes was on the primary ballot? (See the last name on the third row.) The good news, he won. The bad news, it was just in time for us to move out of the district. Perhaps his unpaid political career was not meant to be.

No comments: