Saturday, October 30, 2010
Come One, Come All!
I've noticed that there is an element of love/hate associated with Halloween. There is the camp that lives for the chance to dress up and decks out their house in lights and spider webs. Their costumes tend to have family themes and were hand sewn and are planned months in advance. And then there is me who looks forward to Halloween so that we can get to November already. I've tried to be excited for the kids, but I discovered that they may have either sensed or inherited my disinterest in the holiday. We dutifully attended the ward chili party and trunk or treat. (Costumes were picked out ten minutes before the party started.) Jake and DB ran around so hard with their friends that they came to me half way through the party, red-faced drenched in sweat and begging to take their football pads (duct taped beach towels) off. I told them they couldn't trick or treat without a costume, knowing full well no one would actually turn them away. They shrugged their shoulders and I heard something about..we don't care about trick or treating as they were in a full sprint back to the football game.
Sophie on the other hand still seems to be in Camp 1. In fact everyday of the year is a good one for Sophie to be in full princess attire. That's how she rolls. She excitedly made her way around the trunks to get her treat and made chocolate her meal for breakfast and lunch the next day.
We are still a day away from actual Halloween. It is still hot and we still have at least a couple parties to go, but I'm done and on to the next mentally. But that's not to say we won't be fully participating, Sunday or not. Halloween is the absolute best night to have an excuse to knock your neighbor's door and figure out who these mystery people are that coexist with you on this corner of the planet. I tease Wes for his excessive neighborliness, but truth be told that's a big reason why I married him- to compensate for all those things that I'm just not. I like having rapport with people on your street, I'm just not very skilled at creating it. It's what I miss most from my old neighborhood. So come one, come all if you dare. The candy bowl is full and the lights are on! (Just make sure your gas tank is full.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment