Sophie has carved out quite the exciting life for herself lately. She is a very astute and creative little person. Grandma Ruth gave her a doll that drinks a bottle, falls asleep, laughs, cries and opens and closes it's eyes in such a realistic way that it is a little creepy. I find that I need to keep reminding myself that "Sassy", as Sophie calls her, is not real. In Sophie's mind she is real and it is very upsetting if someone dares to challenge that notion. So to keep the peace, I am having to tend to Sassy's every need. In the middle of making dinner the other night, Sophie insisted that Sassy was crying and I need to go up stairs and get her. That was the exact moment it went from adorable to annoying. But I have to give her credit for addressing the issue that I won't - her intense desire for a baby around here.
My friend Amanda paid a visit this week with her cute baby girl and apparently provided the first opportunity for Sophie to observe a baby nursing. She was plenty discreet about it, but these things don't tend to get past Sophie's keen sense of observation. I didn't think anything of it until yesterday when Sophie told me that there are two ways for a baby to eat. From a bottle and another way that "I don't want to talk about". It's funny to me that she didn't want to talk about it..with me anyway. The other day I was in Cheryl's car with Sophie and Lani. Completely out of the blue, Sophie asked Cheryl how babies got out of their mommy's belly. I was seated right next to her, but was more than wiling to let Cheryl field the question. Then according to Amanda, Sophie point blank asked her what that baby was doing under that blanket. At this rate, I may have to have the "the talk" with Sophie long before it even is on my boys' radar. Or Cheryl will anyway.
Sophie and Lani's preschool had their first field trip of the school year. I've got to be honest. When I heard they were going to Fry's, my first reaction was "lame". But let me tell you, those folks at Fry's pull out all the stops for these kids. Considering the amount of time a preschooler spends with mom at the grocery store, it was pretty cool for them so see how the whole operation works.
The inseparable pair anxiously waiting for the field trip to begin.
The whole preschool gang. Sophie is almost always the tallest in a group of her peers. Her brothers would love to have that problem. Lani has two boyfriends in the class, Noah, the one in blue on the far left that is gazing her direction, and Mr. Sean, the preschool teacher's husband. Sophie has no boyfriends, just a baby. Go figure.
The kids watching the sushi chef work his magic. Don't ever say Queen Creekers aren't sophisticated..we have a sushi chef in town after all.
The highlight of the visit was getting to pet the lobster. Sophie took a few giant steps back. She wasn't going to have anything to do with those claws. They stopped short at mentioning that this little guy was going to get boiled to death soon.
The giant freezer was refreshing in a summer that just doesn't seem to want to end.
And the box crusher. It seems a little dangerous and loud, but this was an all access tour.
The back of the refrigerated truck where all the milk gets unloaded.
Finally, the after party, complete with hot dogs and decorated sprinkle cookies. Thanks, Fry's! Now I don't feel so bad about spending half our income at your store every month.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I love the grocery store field trip! Of course, I say that about anything that ends in a free cookie.
As far as the baby goes, yeah...leave it to Cheryl. I'm sure she will do a great job :)
I say leave it to Ruth......I would imagine she is great at "the talk"....if we had ever let us give it to us, we would know! Once again, thank you so much for blogging my children's life for me. I owe you big time, again!
Post a Comment