Tuesday, September 28, 2010

30-Day Rule

Change is unavoidable in life and I've had a lot of it lately. We can bob and weave all we want but the change will come. Doing nothing creates change. Our relationships with people, our faith, our marriage is never the same day after day. All require work, and by virtue of existing on this Earth, we are compelled to address it.   I was discussing this principle with some dear friends the other day and the point was made that in life the belief that "this too shall pass" works for both good and bad situations. We are adaptable. As we absorb changes we begin to adjust to our new norm and no matter how wildly the pendulum of our life seems to be swinging, we eventually return to our set point. I've been blessed to have so many "happy places" archived in my  memories that I wish could last forever. Whether it's the first time you hold your child, or an ideal work situation, a great vacation, or something as simple as a beautiful sunset, it's not going to last. And thankfully and mercifully the same is true of the hard times. As I approach my 40s, I've started to actually look forward to change because as doors close, new ones always open. Just like on Let's Make a Deal, sometimes there is a donkey behind Door Number 2 and sometimes there is a fabulous new car but either way it's an adventure.

And speaking of change, we've moved and have recognized that there is a 30-day rule. It states that what ever items on your punch list when you move will most likely not get done if you don't at least start it in the first 30 days. Otherwise the adaptation process kicks in and you don't see and aren't terribly bothered by whatever it was that needed to be done. We were fortunate to have a fairly turn key house, and were severely limited by budget restraints but we did want to paint the stark white flat paint walls to warm up the place. I mean how hard could it be? Well the walls part, not hard at all, but the cut ins and last part of the second story wall unimaginablely time consuming and dangerous.

There was much debate over who was the one to climb to the top and finish the final inch before the ceiling. I have no depth perception (literally) and am deathly afraid of heights so Wes drew the short straw on this one.
 
I checked to make sure I was up to date on the life insurance and sent him on up. It's fair. He owes me for giving birth to the kids. 

1 comment:

Becca Hatch said...

I think you have handled the changes in your life admirably! And of course Wes should do the painting.