Sunday, June 6, 2010

The Heat Is On

We were blessed with an extended spring this year and were spared the 100 degree temps until well into May. I have high hopes that this will make the summer more bearable, although my enthusiasm was tempered as I got into the car after church today. All three kids burned their hands while attempting to fasten their seat belts. We are doing our best to cope. We joined the swim team this year for the first time. The price was right as it is practically free for the boys to spend an hour doing laps at the neighborhood pool every morning. It has been great for them to see their friends, stay cool, and burn some of their boundless energy. For never having swam competitively before, they are both respectable swimmers. The down side is that Jake has chronic outer ear problems and the inevitable only took a week to happen, as he has complained incessantly about ear pain this weekend and can hardly pull a shirt over his head without wincing in pain. We are hoping that he isn't sidelined too long, as I think he will do quite well in the meets if given the chance.

Jake also went to his first scout camp this weekend. It was hotter (110) and went later (10pm) than I would have liked, but who can argue with a BB gun shooting range, bow and arrows, wood working crafts, volleyball, swimming, water balloon fights, and a snack bar with cold Dr. Pepper and enough candy to put any eight year old in a diabetic coma. Jake has shown himself to be quite a lady's man as he has made it a habit of buying me and other women around a soda when given the chance. This time it was his den leader. He's got a bit of a crush on her and she was quite smitten by the gesture. He's perfecting his wooing techniques younger than I would like, but it's so funny that I'm sure not going to change it. He has no interest in the girls his own age, so hopefully we are OK for awhile.Off to scout camp.
This is how the Arizona heat makes me feel too.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Jake is a cutie...better keep your eye on that one! Love the sleeping "catching flies" picture!