Putting politics aside, it was heartening to witness the historic event on Tuesday night. Barack Obama once again gave an amazing and inspirational speech that resonated with with even a right-winger like myself. He is my president now and I plan to support him and cheer his every accomplishment. Every president deserves the benefit of the doubt. I sincerely hope that he silences his critics and brings positive change that will ultimately unite and lift this nation. He now is entering a new action phase in his career. As president, voting "present" will no longer be an option. He is going to have to be decisive and bold, particularly in the message we send to the nations that hate America and seek to destroy us. You'll be in my prayers, President Obama. I have a vested interest in where you lead us. You now hold the keys to the nation that my children will inherit.
As a conservative who believes that smaller government is better government, that freedom and personal responsibility matter, I can only hope that somehow in the next four years we find a voice that can clearly articulate those values. A lot can happen in four years and who knows, maybe Mr. Obama will earn my vote, but for today my dream ticket for 2012: Jindal/Romney (in either order). Watch for it.
One final anecdote before swearing off politically charged entries for awhile: In this election process Wes and I have watched all the debates and coverage and had numerous discussions about issues relating to the election. The boys have asked us questions about who we want to win and why. I try to be careful in how I present the facts. I want to encourage them to think for themselves and draw their own conclusions. It is good mental exercise for them and interesting for me to see what they come up with. So what was Jake's response to seeing the giant Wednesday morning headline that said Obama had won? "Oh great, DB. DO you know what this means? - Now I am going to have to give some of my correct spelling words to all the kids who didn't study." Maybe I am not so unbiased after all....or maybe I am just right:)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment