Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Ten Years

It's my tenth anniversary of motherhood today. It is everything I ever hoped it would be, but a lot harder than I ever expected. It has brought me to my knees, and elevated me to joys I never anticipated and can't really articulate. Jake asked me this morning what time he was born. Without hesitation I said, "5:32 pm."

He was surprised that I could remember that. Someday he will understand that you never forget the day you become a parent. A few years ago, I made the mistake of telling him that the day he was born was the best and worst day of my life. I think he was a little offended. Childbirth is no joke, especially his traumatic birth. The most tortuous moment of my life was when the reassuring thump, thump, thump of his heart monitor went silent just before he was born. Ten years later, I still tear up when I think about it. I will forever be grateful for a quick acting, bold, and most importantly competent doctor whom I credit with saving Jake's life.

I didn't fully appreciate or understand what nine (ten really) months of pregnancy does to a person emotionally, physically, and spiritually until I experienced it. I was pretty sure I knew everything there was to know about childbirth and kids. When you are one of seven kids, start babysitting at ten, and work as a nanny well into your 20s you learn a few things. I read all the books, watched every episode of Discovery Channel's "Birth Day", and was brimming with confidence. Absolutely none of that prepares you for how slow an hour, day, or week can go when you are endlessly nauseated and tired, and fighting debilitating migraines. It does you not a shred of good when you are desperately trying to calm a colicky newborn. And nothing prepares you for how vulnerable your heart becomes to every struggle your child will face. But alas, I signed up for it all over again ten months later.

Between my subbing, my church calling, our business, and volunteering at the kids' classes Wes and I interact with hundreds of kids every week. It's funny how you would not trade your kids for a single one of them. We have some variation of that conversation every night after the last of our kids falls asleep.  I sure hope that is a truism for all parents because some of these kids are not easy. I'll leave it at that.

Happy Birthday sweet Jake! I can't wait to see what the next ten years holds for you and I couldn't be more excited to be along for the ride.

A few things to know about 10-year old Jake:

-He loves celery but hates peanut butter.
-He watches Sports Center every day.
-He hates hair cuts.
-He made the honor roll.
-He is reading Percy Jackson, Lighting Thief
-He is really good at Guitar Hero and usually beats Wes
-He hates long car drives.
-He loves his 4th grade teacher Ms. Cotten, and the feeling is mutual. He is her personal assistant.
-He knows every NFL player, their size, team, position, ranking and whether then are a "future hall of famer" or not. (It would be really helpful if this was a subject in school.)
-He is adored by his Mom.

1 comment:

Tiffany Hatch said...

Happy motherhood day Christy! James and I were talking this morning how we can not believe Jake is 10. I am really hoping Hudson's next 9 years seams longer.