Sunday, June 12, 2011

Church Talk, Check...

Wes and I managed to fly under the radar long enough in our new ward to avoid a speaking assignment for nearly ten months. When the rumors that our ward may be split were confirmed with an announcement of a "reorganization meeting" on Father's Day, I silently rejoiced that it likely be a lot longer now as all the dust settled with a new ward. Then just when we thought we were out of the woods we got the assignment on Thursday night to prepare a "just in case" brief talk/testimony. I was thrilled when I saw that there would be two baby blessings, a ton of ward and stake business, three speakers, and a rest hymn before my and Wes' chance to speak came up. I was certain I would only have to be up there for a minute, and half of that I could just mutter on about how the time was well spent and how I couldn't possibly add any more to this already beautiful meeting and so on. Well one of my favorite things (except for today) about an unpaid ministry is that you never know what you're going to get on any given Sunday. Today everyone was strangely efficient in the delivery of their messages, leaving Wes and I a good 15 - 20 minutes of time. It all worked out and I got to experience that euphoria of sitting down after a talk, knowing it is behind you.

I talked about how change inevitably comes and as one door closes, another always opens and even though we can't always control the changes in our life, that we alone have the power to choose how we respond. It's easy to say all those things, but the truth is that it is human nature to resist change. It is a strange thing how much a ward influences your friends, your kids, and your social life. Our area is growing so rapidly, that this is old hat for most of these people, but like it or not, life is so busy that once families are cut from your ward, your just not going to have the same relationship with them. I've been in nursery and primary which really isolates you socially in a ward, so for me honestly it's not that big of a deal. But for my boys, it's going to be tough to lose the handful of good friends they've bonded with in the past year. They also have had incredible primary teachers, who have been so instrumental in building their testimonies, and making them look forward to church every week. I owe them a huge debt of gratitude. My boys are resilient and I'm confident that they will make good friends in the new ward as well. I likely will not be Sophie and Lani's primary teacher anymore, but even that is a good thing with Sophie getting ready to go to Kindergarten. She could use some direction from an authority figure besides me. I am curious to see if my parents and the Haws' end up in our same ward. It's crazy that you can live so close and still have no guarantees on that. So for now the rumor mill will continue to swirl and we will try to take the "come what may and love it" advice I once heard.
 It's finally starting to feel like summer and the kids are making almost daily visits to Grandpa and Grandma's pool. I really do not know what I would do without that option everyday at 2 pm when they are literally bouncing off the walls.

Sometimes I do have to resort to this, however. I think they like it. Don't judge me. I have to get the floors done somehow. (It's joke..they put themselves in there. I don't want to end up seeing this on a big screen in a court of law in my future.)
I'm so lucky to have a husband who knows how to do stuff. I give him a hard time about "getting ready to get ready" too much on projects, but in the end I am always thankful that he takes the time to do the job right. The sprinklers and curbing are in and we will have grass soon.
We are in need of a baseball/football/slip n' slide field, so I can't wait.

No comments: