Saturday, December 12, 2009

Mustang Pride

One last huddle for the Mustangs.
Sophie loved being sandwiched between her two Grandpas.
The Mustang faithful.

I couldn't resist a quick update on the boys football tournament last Saturday. Every so often we hit a window with the boys that allows them to be on the same team, with Wes as their coach. I truly look forward to watching Wes coach these boys every week, and know that we are creating priceless memories for them. I'm grateful that my kids have a dad who takes such an interest in their lives, and relatives who are so nice be to show up at these sometimes tedious games. It meant so much to the boys that so many family members came out to their tournament. I was so proud of the way they played, and the way Wes coached. It has been frustrating at times because Wes is what I consider an ethical coach, meaning that at this tender age, every kid gets an equal chance to play regardless of talent or skill.

Unfortunately, when you are playing against other coaches who have a win at all cost and run up the score mentality, and the son of an NFL player at their disposal, it doesn't bode well for the team in the win department. The Mustangs won about half their games this year and lost a chance to play for the championship in a close 7-6 defeat in the second playoff game. It was funny to watch, as I began to be convinced that neither coach wanted to win, which meant a third hour of games and a sure to be slaughter of a championship game against what I consider and "unethical coach." I am so proud of the way they played (and were coached) and think they should hold their head high knowing that this is what youth sports should be about. So hats off the Mustangs, who will always be champions to me! Basketball starts in January and baseball is the spring. Watch your email, as I am sure Jake will keep you apprised of games times, and thank you again for your support!

No comments: