I find birthdays somewhat irritating these days, not so much because I care about growing older but more that I have an extreme aversion to being the focus of attention. Plus I tend to get a victim mentality when things don't go just perfect. For example, I found a jury summons tucked in between a couple birthday cards. I was so put out that they would send that on my birthday. Truth be told though, I am actually secretly hoping I get picked this time. I've convinced myself that I would be a fantastic juror and let's be honest - the whole mom/homemaker routine can get a bit monotonous. But alas we all know that when it comes to church callings and jury summons, the more you campaign, the less your chances.
What does this have to do with Run Forrest, Run? Well a highlight of my birthday festivities included Cheryl treating me to some new running shoes. We went to one of these specialty running shops where they analyze your stride, your arc, etc and then suggest the best shoes for you. So it seems cool enough until they put you on a treadmill and video tape you running. Then they put the video up on this huge computer screen and enable the extreme slow motion feature. Who knew how ridiculous I look when I run? Why, why did no one tell me? So I am hoping that my knew Nikes are my magic bullet for a respectable stride. They supposedly are going to fix my collapsing arches and pronation problems. Or maybe I am a big sucker for thinking the shoes matter. It may be all in my mind, but I swear I was faster and felt better after this morning's early morning birthday jog. I am hoping this was the only thing standing between me and a marathon victory!
Thanks to everyone for a great birthday! I especially loved the custom birthday cards that Grandma Ruth helped the kids make.. Apparently the best things about me are that I buy cheese bagels at Fry's for them and keep the house clean. And to think that I ever thought I wasn't awesome!
5 comments:
I believe in good shoes. I'm an overpronater so they do make a difference. Perhaps your shoes will inspire you to run the Moab Half Marathon in March? Consider it...and happy birthday! You would be a great juror.
I want to go to this store! It sounds expensive though. And of course I don't run, and I don't know if I could stand to see my jiggle in slow mo, but I haven't had a good pair of sneaks in decades and I like to blame my total lack of fitness on that fact. Where is this place?
And by the way, they will never pick you to be a juror. Mormons never get picked. They assume we are judgemental. I think you'd be fair and even-handed. If I'm ever up on charges, I'd want you! could you bring some of those bagels to the trial? thanks.
I'd want you on my jury!
Happy Birthday!
Staci, It is called Roadrunner and it is at Tempe Marketplace. If you go to their web site you can get a 15% off coupon and I can give you a VIP number for another 20% off. The shoes they recommended for me came to $62 after tax and discounts. Not as expensive as I thought. I'm could probably find the same shoes at Kohl's for $45 but I wouldn't have known to buy them. Don't take your kids. The process takes awhile. Invite Cheryl, she might pay. Just kidding. Good luck!
Can you have a sister on your jury?! I hope so, cause I want you on mine when they charge me with causing all that global warming or something! It was so fun spending a couple hours with you on your b-day. I don't think you run funny at all. I can only remember my running video. It was all the guy could do to keep from laughing at the old mother of four on the treadmill. Do they really have to have punk teenagers selling the shoes?
Hope your birthday was everything you deserve my most fabulous sister:)
Post a Comment