Tuesday, March 25, 2008
Easter Confusion
Easter was full of the usual fare this year with the Easter Egg Hunt count rounding out at four.(ward party, neighborhood, Grandma Karla and Grandma and Grandpa Hatch.)I never thought I would write these words, but I think my kids have had their fill of hunting and dare I say it, candy-thanks to the generosity of all the people who love them most. I let them gorge themselves. My philosophy is to let them have as much as they can handle all day then have it mysteriously disappear the day after Easter. Still, I trust that with the sheer volume consumed in that 24 hours, our dentist can go ahead and buy that new BMW. Of course the boys are to the age that I would like them to have at least a basic understanding of the meaning of Easter beyond the Easter Bunny and Easter Egg Hunts. I bought a kids book and read it to them about Jesus' life and resurrection and felt that I had done my duty. But then when the home teachers came over and quizzed the kids on why we celebrate Easter, they blurted out, "The Easter Bunny!" I was so proud. Trying to save face and as to not have the LDS CPS called, I tried to coax a more spiritual answer from them but got only blank stares. So the kind man gently informed them that, actually it was because Jesus died for us. That night before prayers I reminded the boys again about the real meaning of Easter. So first thing the very next morning, I had scheduled Jake's 6-year well check at his doctor, whom I strongly suspect happens to be Jewish. Making conversation with the boys, as to distract from the necessary prodding she asked them if they were doing anything fun for Easter. They both were silent as to not mess this one up again. After a few awkward moments they both just said, "It's because of Jesus." Right answer, wrong audience. Hey, I'll take it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I love it! you have the cutest kids!
Your mom is so proud of Jake and DB's missionary efforts! I'm still laughing.
So I shouldn't tell Dr. Apley that I taught Lani to say Jesus!?
I think DB and Jake just didn't want to offend the Easter Bunny after he had done so much for them!
Post a Comment