Sunday, March 30, 2008

Do you ever get the feeling....?

So I rarely get to see some of my favorite friends anymore because, well turns out raising three kids is time consuming, so I thought the birthday party of my good friend's daughter would be a great excuse to go on a road trip to Tucson and visit Laurie. Laurie and I have been friends since 6th grade. Jake and her daughter Shailey were born just 3 months a part. I got up Saturday and packed up a lunch and drinks and change of clothes. I set up the DVD player and got pillows in case they napped. You know, you truly can never be too prepared with kids and road trips. I went to pick up Jake at his baseball practice game. It was running late and I wasn't going to make it to the party in time, so I had no choice but to interupt the game so we could go. Then I had to call Wes to leave the game that he was pitching to have him bring me the keys to get Jake's car seat out. Finally we were on the road and I thought we maybe would be a couple minutes late...until I got to the freeway closure. I did not move for 20 minutes and it took 40 minutes to get rerouted and back on I-10. Now I was going to be close to an hour late but Iwas on my way and since I had gotten this far..then the wind started to blow and kept rocking the car. That's allright, I'm almost half way, right. "Ding" from the dashboard. Huh, not sure what that symbol is. Pull over and dig out the owner's manual - of course that light is the transmission light. You see, me and transmissions do not have a good history. It caused the demise of my last car. By this time I had logged about 10 calls to Wes finally in so many words wondered if I would have to get hit over the head with a brick to realize this trip was not a good idea. (To his credit, he said it nicer than that.) Do you ever wonder if someone is trying to tell you something?? I made a U-turn and came home. It was not a total loss as all three of my kids took a nice nap and hardly realized we went anywhere at all.

1 comment:

Becca Hatch said...

I don't take hints well. I would have soldiered on and ended up in a fiery car crash.