Tuesday, August 21, 2012

"Bishop Whittaker" Say What?

Life's funny sometimes. If there weren't some twists and turns along the way I suppose it would be boring. I was sitting comfortably in the back row of junior primary, minding my own business having no idea what was about to ambush the Whittaker Family. I won't go into details about the process of finding my husband on the stand in a suit (yes, Wes in a real suit) leading a ward, but I will say that it has been the beginning of a spritual journey that has already blessed our lives. I have no illusions about it being easy and fun all the time. I've had enough close associations with people in heavy leadership roles to know of some of the challenges that come with the title. I do know very clearly that Wes will not be alone in facing this enormous task at hand. We are deeply flawed, anything but stable, and seriously lack the polishing that perhaps a Bishop's family should posess. What I do know, and have always known is that my husband has a good heart and genuinely loves and cares about others. It is a sweet confirmation to know that his Heavenly Father recognizes this also.

We are so blessed to have such amazing and supportive families. The high council room was overflowing with family and friends who drove long distances on short notice to share in the ordination. They quietly contributed in so many ways. We are overwhelmed with gratitude for the little and big acts of kindness along the way. It was not an easy thing for 88 year old Grandpa Miller to get up in the middle of the night and make his way to the valley for our cruel 8 am sacrament meeting time. But to have him be able to ordain his oldest grandson a high priest was priceless. Important life events sting for Wes, even after over 20 years. There are times when you need a hug from your Dad. It was hard to not feel the love from the circle of family there and on the other side.


It was a special day for us. Now the real work begins.

There were some concerns from a few members of Wes' family that this Bishop thing might ruin his sense of humor. So far there is no sign of that. Speaking of humor, receiving this card might be the thing we remember most about the big day. We got a good laugh out of it. People really don't know exactly what to say to you..but his might be the most appropriate.



Both boys were facinated by this strange "suit" thing that Dad was wearing. They couldn't help but try it on.
It was a fun family reunion and maybe someday Karla will fogive me for posting a picture of her. She looks beautiful so I couldn't resist.
And finally, a perk that I was not aware of is that things like this randomly show up at your door. I could get used to this.

2 comments:

Becca Hatch said...

You all will do great. I've been meaning to call to see how heavy the mantle is feeling, but it looks like you are off to a great start. Lots of love.

Hatchetman said...

Congratulations Wes AND Christy. This will be challenging but I promise you that it will be an experience that will take you to the next spiritual level and be cherished later in life (maybe not always during it :)). Welcome to the High Priesthood Wes!