Monday, August 15, 2011

In the Blink of an Eye

 I of course knew logically that this day would eventually come. I would be standing on the Kindergarten playground with my baby with a huge lump in my throat, that I am desperately trying to push down to show a happy face. Somehow when I was in the throes of babyhood it felt like those fuzzy headed, chubby cheeked, bright-eyed little kids were always going to be under foot. Some days I wished for that, others I was ready to speed up the clock to recapture some semblance of sanity. Well it turns out it doesn't get any easier when you send them off to school. The challenges are just different. I think all moms wonder if they have done enough to prepare their kid for their first real world experience, but there is no going back now. I stumbled across an article this week that I think was meant just for me. It said that parents need to stop worrying so much about their kids' happiness. Children who face challenges and overcome them on their own are empowered in a way that can only happen if they do it themselves. It is true and it made me realize that no matter how much I agonize over charter or public, AM or PM, she is going to have unpleasant things happen that she can and will overcome and that is just OK.

Sophie had a tearful first day. When the bell rang the grip on my hand and eventually my leg got tighter and she kept moving further to the back of the class line. When she realized couldn't drag out the goodbye any longer she began to sob. The principal of the school took her other hand and I gave her the nod to peel her off of me. She invited me to go get a visitor badge from the office if I wanted, but I knew that would only prolong the drama. Sophie is a bright, friendly, and strong little soul and I knew she was going to be just fine. Day 2 she resisted by suddenly getting a stomach ache as we pulled into the parking lot, but I told her that sometimes we have to fight through it and do hard things. By Day 3 she ran to the monkey bars and didn't even look back. She now has made quick friends with all the girls in the class. (She thinks boys are nothing but trouble.) I think its going to be a good year.
Speaking of growing up, we now have two legit, full-padded football players in the house.That's number 62 on the left, and number 56 on the right. Pop Warner is a ridiculous time and money commitment, but I also believe that it teaches toughness, discipline, respect, and persistence. And the fact that I have never seen the three men in my house more excited for something ever makes it all worth it. They practice every night for over two hours and don't get home until 8:30 or nine. They are hungry, exhausted, and have scratches and bruises all over. And every afternoon it's like Christmas morning as they put on the pads again. I can't wait to see them play and look forward to all their hard work paying off. Games start on August 27th.

1 comment:

Becca Hatch said...

You could always home school! Just kidding- I think the social end of things is almost as important as academics. I'm sure you have done a great job preparing her. I cry every year on the first day of school.