Sunday, January 9, 2011

Perspective On The Shooting

A terrible tragedy occurred in Tucson on Saturday. It is unthinkable that a person is capable of such an act. Making this so much worse and personally disturbing is the fact that a 9- year old girl was shot and killed, a nine year old. I'm not going to exaggerate my knowledge of Congresswoman Giffords, but I will say that the things I've learned of her since the shooting have earned her my respect as a thoughtful,  fair minded, and good person... the kind that ought to be in Washington representing her constituents.

As the story began to unfold my thoughts turned to my childhood friend who lives near the scene and has a daughter close to the age of the one killed. We've made it a point to keep in touch all these years, and by chance had our first children within a couple months of each other. The kids and I attended a birthday party for her daughter in Tucson at the very Safeway  retail center where the shooting took place a few years back. I was relieved to talk with her today, confirming that they were safe and unaffected by the incident. They did have one neighbor stuck in Safeway for hours as the crime scene unfolded, and another who was shooed away as they arrived to shop just minutes after the shooting. My friend had planned to go grocery shopping that morning, but instead slept in late avoiding the scene. Talk about hitting close to home.

I have a range of emotions on this topic as most do when tragedy strikes, and it is fascinating to me to hear reactions from media folks and regular folks as well. If the news is to be trusted, (which admittedly is questionable at times) a suicidal nut job with a history of disturbing behavior came unhinged and showed up and proceeded to unload a magazine from a semi-automatic pistol into a crowd. According to some rambling You Tube slide shows, the suspect was angry about the government controlling grammar, of all things and a smattering of other incoherent rants and grievances.

So when the County Sheriff gets on what has now become a world stage and proclaims Arizona as the "mecca of prejudice and hatred" as part of his news conference, pardon me for taking issue with that assessment. Did the shooting at Columbine prove that Colorado was the "mecca" for dangerous high schools and mentally disturbed violent teenagers? Of course it didn't. No more than a crazed lone gunman's assassination attempt on a congresswoman makes Arizona a "mecca" of hate. Do your job and give the facts, sir and use a little discretion on when is an appropriate time to politicize.

And speaking of incoherent rants, I will continue here to say that to blame talk radio or Fox News or conservatives for this incident is equally ludicrous. As some one who loves this country, is a conservative who also happens to be open-minded and fair on the issues and problems that plague this country, and who is very aware of the political conversation going on from both sides, I can say with certainty that no politician or commentator on either end of the political spectrum has or would ever suggest, condone, hint at, or glamorize violence.  Is there room for more civility in the discourse? Of course. Would that have stopped this mad man? Probably not. Let's keep it in perspective.  And also let's hope that the suspect does not have the same disdain for run on sentences as he does for grammar errors, or I may in danger of being his next victim.

My thoughts and prayers are with Gabby Giffords, as well as the families and other victims. I sincerely hope that intelligent, principled, good people who care about this country, and listen to the people who elected them as Congresswomen Giffords was attempting to do, will not be dissuaded from getting involved politically. If there was ever a time when this country needed people like her, it is now. May God speed and bless her with a full recovery.

3 comments:

Becca Hatch said...

This was a tragedy.

I think the second tragedy is that extremists on both ends of the political spectrum have so loudly spewed hatred towards each other that many Americans are unable to see that the majority of us (while maybe leaning a little right or a little left) are really somewhere towards the middle.

This young man had a serious mental illness, and that no one can dispute. He had some crazy mixed up ideas about what was happening in government. But, can any of us honestly say that we haven't generalized about those whose political beliefs we disagree with?

I think a return to civility and true political/non-personal debate is called for. It may not have prevented this particular crime, but it could prevent generalized hate among Americans. No one needs to be called a "bigot" or a "terrorist" or something of the like as part of ANY political discussion.

Christy said...

I agree with you, Becca in that the personal attacks are out of control. I instantly lose respect for candidates/people/media when they stray from the issues and turn personal. There are unfair generalizations made about people whose beliefs differ from our own, and there is no question that it breeds contempt on both sides.

People are losing the ability to debate and think for themselves in part due to the constant availability of information that may or maybe not be correct or fair. Any hack can say whatever they want and people will believe it if it fits their world view.

I guess the dilemma I struggle with is the fact that I believe that character should matter, and is a particularly important trait for our leaders. I don't view myself as a hater, but I also think there comes a time when it is not only justified but in our best interest to make assessments of those who represent us.

Having said that, I wish people were not so quick to hate and judge others. A lot could be said for giving the benefit of the doubt and bothering to hear both sides of an issue, especially the side you disagree with. There is usually a reason why people believe the way they do other than that they are an idiot, bigot, terrorist, or extremist.

Anonymous said...

Kenny and I have had the chance to actually meet Congresswoman Giffords on numerous occasions due to her district counting Marana as part of it - and my husband building most of the Town of Marana projects. The most recent time we met her was just last year at the grand opening of the park. My impression of her was that of a very gracious and humble person. She loves the district she represents and the people in it. Her downfall was that she was too approachable. At these events she would stay for hours and meet with her district. I honestly thought that she was going to do the typical and give her speech and bolt. Not her - she gave her speach then met and listened to whomever wanted to talk to her. I read on facebook that one of the guards at the captiol posted that of all the politicians this could have happened to - it shouldn't have been her.